Knowing that you may have to take care of all the administrative and accounting tasks by yourself when you run a business can be enough to scare many personal trainers away from that path. Many personal trainers don’t particularly enjoy or excel at those tasks either.
Maybe you’re not the most technically inclined trainer either. You know that there have to be better ways to streamline your business, but you’re just not sure what that might look like.
Well, there’s probably software, and likely an app, for that. And you can likely run your business from your phone. Except for the training part, of course. Although, you can download Skype and even do that from your phone if you want to!
The cool thing about having cell phones and finding the right software is that you can be available to your clients as though you were standing right there next to them. You can coach them from afar, send over training plans, help them with meal decisions, book their sessions, and process payments from your phone, wherever you are.
That’s what the personal training software we’re checking out in this article does. It makes you more accessible to your clients, takes care of all your admin, and does a lot of the grunt work for you.
Here are four of the top software programs that will change the way you do business!
1. Increase Client Engagement And Automation With Trainerize
Used for: Creating workouts, designing meal plans, and tracking client progress.
Cost: $18/month for 2-15 training clients.
If you want to increase client engagement outside your weekly sessions and automate certain parts of your business, you’ll want to invest in this software. You can build training plans, eating plans, and goals for your customers through this app as well as keep an eye on their progress.
Purported to be used by over 35,000 personal trainers and studios in the industry for online personal training, Trainerize’s giant following is a testament to its effectiveness, popularity and notoriety.
Trainerize allows you to be a coach and guide even when your clients aren’t in the gym with you. Through the entire process of training them, encouraging them, and following along with their progress, you become an integral part of their day and their eventual success story. And becoming an integral part of their success story will be instrumental in your business building efforts.
The app also allows you to upsell. You can offer online personal training services, Skype consultations, and nutrition services in addition to your standard personal training.
Let’s take a closer look at Trainerize’s features:
- Workout Builder: Send complete workouts to your clients right from your phone, tablet or computer. This way, they have a guide for the days when they aren’t working with you. Then, your clients can track their workouts so you know they’re following through.
- You can use your own Youtube videos or the included video library to build each workout.
- You can prescribe the number of sets and reps, so you can incorporate drop sets or pyramids into their strength workouts.
- There are also options for sports conditioning, cardio training, and interval training.
- Use timers, voiceovers, and rest periods to build an entire guided interval workout.
- Meal planning: You can set nutrition goals for your clients and build an entire meal plan for them. They’ll start to get a feel for how to fill their macros. Clients can also track their daily food intake and progress by syncing with MyFitnessPal.
- Messaging: Through the in-app messaging, you can motivate and follow up with your clients. Each time they finish a workout, you get a notification so you can acknowledge them. When you notice they haven’t worked out in a week, you can provide them with gentle reminders and encouragement to enhance their participation.
- Measure their progress: Trackers are included for workouts, weight, food, and body stats. Your clients can also upload their progress pics. These trackers give both you and your clients a visual picture of their goal trajectory.
- Online personal training: With the online personal training options that the app offers, you can connect with clients that aren’t even in your zip code. This opens your services up to a whole new population.
- Connection to activity trackers: You can follow your clients’ habits on FitBit and other trackers to get their real story and pinpoint areas they can improve.
- Store client files: Upload everything from signed waivers to client questionnaires to your clients’ profiles. These are great to have on reference or to send to other trainers in case you’re on vacation or personal leave.
- Get listed: As part of your Trainerize plan, you get to be listed in their personal trainer database, which is free marketing for your business. If a lead is looking for trainers in your area with your specialization, they might find you on here. This opens you up to more leads just by using the software. Your business also gets promoted every time a current client tweets their stats from the app.
- Syncs with other apps: Trainerize can be connected to other popular apps like MindBody, Evolution Nutrition, MyFitnessPal, FitBit, Withings, Youtube, Skype, Facebook, Twitter, Zapier.
The Benefits of Using Trainerize:
Time savings: Optimize your time so you can spend it on the most important activities for your business. Instead of sitting in front of a bunch of your own spreadsheets, videos and pdfs, you can centralize everything on this app. You don’t need to reinvent the wheel and create all these things from scratch yourself.
Client engagement: Your coaching is intertwined into your clients’ entire days, from their time on social media to their daily meals. Trainerize also provides notifications if someone hasn’t been engaged recently so no one falls off the grid. There’s two-way communication to make it easy for you to foster your trainer-client relationships.
Convenience: Your phone is as far as you have to go for access. If it’s easier to use your phone at home and your computer at work, then this will fit your lifestyle perfectly. Everything is as simple as a few scrolls, clicks, and keyed entries.
Making health a lifestyle change: This app really endorses the concept that fitness and healthy eating are part of a lifestyle change versus a temporary fix. Ideally, this is a mindset you want your clients to have.
Supports business growth: With its add-on features, you can build up-sells into your programs, such as accompanying meal plans and Skype sessions. It opens your business up to new clientele. And it provides built-in marketing to bring your personal training business extra attention.
Results driven: Everything about the app is results-driven with tracking, graphs, and goals. This creates extra motivation for your clients and helps them visualize their outcomes.
2. Stay Ahead Of Your Accounting With Freshbooks
Used for: Keeping track of all your income and expenses.
Cost: $25 for billing 6-50 active clients.
You are a personal trainer, not an accountant. Perhaps accounting gives you the shivers just thinking about it. That’s where Freshbooks comes in. You can track your money on here and send it over to your accountant every quarter. You’ll appreciate how easy it is and your accountant will appreciate how easy you’ve made it for them. Designed specifically for small businesses, this software makes it easy to sort out your financial details. Over 10 million small businesses trust the platform, which says something about its usability.
Features of Freshbooks:
- Invoicing: Send professional looking invoices almost instantaneously. No paper trail, no starting from scratch every time. Just upload your logo, choose a template, choose the appropriate theme colors, and you’re good to go. Once you have a look you like, you can simply duplicate it with each subsequent invoice.
- Expense tracking: Keep an eye on your spending. Scan receipts and save them in your files so you don’t have to keep that mess of paper scraps in a shoebox.
- Time tracking: If you have tasks that are timed, you can invoice based on the exact time. Or, you can track how much time you take on your daily tasks so you can become more efficient. If you have other trainers that work for you, you can use this tracking system instead of paper timesheets.
- Project collaboration: If you work with other trainers, you can keep all your documents and financial details together in one place.
- Automated payments: Freshbooks accepts credit cards and automatic payments, making it easier to get paid. If you offer recurring services, you can simply set them up on auto-pay so neither you nor your client needs to be reminded from month to month.
- Payment reminders: Freshbooks will send out automatic reminders to those clients that often “forget” to pay. It will also start automatically charging late fees based on your own set terms and conditions.
- Reports: You can see detailed profit & loss reports, expense reports, and sales tax summaries with a simple click. You’ll be able to see the health of your personal training business in one glance.
- Syncs with other apps: If you use Stripe, Shopify, Fundbox, G Suite, or Gusto to accept payments, you can sync them right to Freshbooks so payments get recorded immediately.
- Free customer service: Purported to be an award-winning customer service team, the Freshbooks team is available to anyone that purchases the software.
Benefits of Freshbooks:
Accessibility: Anyone can use this software, even if you’re not an accountant. In fact, it’s been designed specifically for the non-accountant business owner. The data in FreshBooks is stored in the cloud, so you can access it anywhere.
Time saver: With how easy it is to use, you can waste less time filling out invoices and spreadsheets and more time out on the floor training clients.
Reassurance: When your financials are sorted out, it makes it easier to sleep doesn’t it? Knowing that your money is organized gives you that extra reassurance.
Professional: Freshbooks exudes your professionalism so you show up as the expert in all facets of your business.
Profitable: Freshbooks tries to help keep you profitable by showing you your financial health at a glance, making it easy for clients to pay you, and sending out payment reminders for you.
Convenience: This accounting software will make keeping track of your financials easy for you and doing your taxes a breeze for your accountant..
3. PTMinder – An All In One Solution For Scheduling, Billing, And Tracking Clients
Used for: Administrative tasks such as scheduling and billing.
If you took scheduling software and customized it for personal trainers, PTMinder is what you would get. PTMinder provides an all-in-one software solution for scheduling, billing, and client tracking. You can schedule personal training sessions and accept payments from your standard payment platforms. You can even integrate the PTMinder software onto your website so your prospects and clients can schedule training sessions with you whenever they want.
Your clients can access the scheduler whenever they feel so inclined, such as, during a New Year’s Eve party. You can also access your own schedule whenever you want. If it’s Friday night and you want to see what Monday looks like, just tap the app.
On their website, PTMinder boasts that their personal training software is used by Gold’s Gym, Anytime Fitness, and other industry leaders. Your small business can use the same resources as the big players. Playing field–leveled!
Features of PTMinder:
Calendar scheduling: Your clients can see exactly when you’re booked and when you have an opening, in real time. You can also post your class schedules. The, all your clients have to do is book themselves into their favorite time slots.
Automatic reminders: People need reminding. The automatic text message reminders will help reduce the number of no-shows you have to deal with.
Payment processing: Clients can pay with credit card or bank debit.
Online store: Create and sell personal training packages and membership programs right inside your PTMinder store.
Client files: Keep your clients’ info on file so you can peek at your notes before sessions.
Trackers: Keep track of your clients’ body measurements and body fat, so you can note progress or choose an area to work on.
Website integration: You can include PTMinder software on your website so clients can log into their own portals. There, they can request a session, sign up for a class, view their assessments, and pay you.
App syncing: This software syncs with Stripe, Paypal, ezidebit, and Debit Success for payments.
Custom reports: Download your financial reporting for tax time. It will show payments recorded, reconciled earnings, expenses, profit, and expected earnings at a glance.
Benefits of Using PTMinder:
Organized: This software takes care of many of the administrative tasks that you might think you need to hire someone for.
Save time: Eliminate all the time you spend on scheduling and logistics. Just let PTMinder put it all together for you. No chasing phone calls. No coordinating times.
Stay profitable: With this software, you can make sure your schedule is always filled. If you see you have a time gap one day, you can always throw out a deal for your openings on social media.
Make yourself accessible: Your clients don’t even need to make appointments during business hours. If they decide at midnight that they need a life change, they can just log on and book some training sessions. This even opens you up for people who haven’t even met you before.
4. Create Workouts And Track Nutrition With VirtuaGym
Used for: Everything from creating workouts to tracking nutrition to scheduling sessions.
VirtuaGym provides all-in-one fitness management software. This is the motherlode that incorporates many of the software options above into one place. You can pretty much run your personal training business from your phone. Well, almost.
In addition to the features of the software we lay out below, designed specifically for personal trainers, you can also purchase hardware for your gym from VirtuaGym to streamline everything else. For example, you can get check-in hardware for your members’ access passes. You can even get your cash drawer, receipt printer, and RFID scanners to work with VirtuaGym.
Features of Virtuagym
- Training plan editor: Create training plans right inside the program so your clients can access them when you’re not around (i.e. all the days of the week they don’t train with you in person). There are 3000+ animated exercises in the exercise library to build workouts with, using a simple drag and drop method. If a client will be traveling, you can create bodyweight workouts for their hotel room. If they have dumbbells at home, you can build them living room workouts.
- Nutrition software: The comprehensive nutrition database allows your clients to track their nutrition, so you can help guide their nutrition choices. Their nutritional needs are customized based on how active your clients are and what their goals are (lose weight, gain weight, or maintain).
- Community: Send private personal messages or announcements to your entire database with the built-in messaging system. You can give people updates in real time, such as cancellations due to inclement weather or rescheduled classes.
- Scheduling: Give your clients immediate access to your open sessions or classes so neither of you have to spend extra time making arrangements. Clients can simply pop on and sign up on their own! If you have multiple staff members, you can include them as well. The scheduler also has an attendance tracking feature and allows for recurring scheduling.
- App integration: The scheduling system on VirtuaGym syncs with your iCal or Google calendar.
- Payment processing: Accept credit, debit, wire transfer, or cash payments. The software also accepts Paypal, iDeal, Mistercash, Sofort, Belfius, and Bitcoin payments. The entire payment system is automated, so you don’t need to process any paperwork or have those awkward conversations. You also set your own cancellation terms, so clients know exactly what’s expected.
- Email notifications: The software sends out automatic reminders for upcoming appointments, cancellations, and class openings so you can cut down on the number of no-shows.
- Challenges and rewards: Like Fitbit and other platforms, you can set up competitions and milestones for clients to reach, providing them with a healthy boost for every achievement. Provide digital badges or medals as rewards that can be shared by clients on social media, giving your business bonus exposure.
- Trackers: Track your clients’ weight, fat percentage, BMI, blood pressure, and muscle mass to see where they’re progressing. You can also give them a visual in graph form.
- Invoicing: Send automatic invoices with your own logo and brand colors. Clients will also have access to all their previous invoices, in case they need them for workplace wellness reimbursements.
- Store: Sell physical products or personal training packages with this software. Through VirtuaGym, you can even become a NEO Health reseller for an additional income stream.
- Retention tracking: See at a glance where your business stands without having to do the calculations yourself. When you notice retention rates going down, you can take action immediately.
Benefits of Using VirtuaGym
Additional income streams: With this software, you can offer nutritional services, online personal training, and lifestyle coaching as an upsell. You can also build an online store and sell products to diversify your income.
Build engagement: With its community platform, VirtuaGym brings all your clients together in one place to build more connections. It’s like having your own private Facebook group, without all the distracting ads. Sending your clients private check-in messages and birthday greetings will show them that they mean more to you than just business.
Makes you look like a pro: The slick way this program works makes you come out looking like the expert. With its beautiful presentation, professional-looking interface, and masterful organization, you end up coming across like a boss.
Prevent loss: Software like this helps keep you profitable. No more “oops, we booked the wrong day” or “oops, the class schedule changed since we posted it.” You won’t have to worry about conflicting schedules or miscommunications since your clients can book their own sessions and receive reminders.
Save money: This software will save you thousands in administrative tasks. It pretty much acts as your own personal business assistant so you don’t need to hire someone.
Save trees: Ok, this might be a bit of a stretch, but eliminating the paper trail and keeping everything online allows you to go paperless.
Taking their costs into consideration, these software programs far exceed their value in the time savings that they create alone. They will help you run a smooth business and work your gym like a pro.
As a personal trainer, you don’t want to spend your time fussing over paper documents and files and spreadsheets. And you certainly don’t want to be fussing around with your financial statement. These software programs will help alleviate that weight on your shoulders so you can get back to your zone of genius.